Friday, January 18, 2008

London to Paris 2008: Training Camp?

Cycling London to Paris over the 3-4 days covering some 300 miles I don't think is going to be a problem. However, I'm participating in a number of triathlons around the time the bike ride and this has become a concern to me, as one of my major goals this year is to complete the London Triathlon within 2 hours and 20 mins.

Currently, I'm in my base training stage and running at least 5 days a week with mileage around 40 miles/week. Cycling, I'm on my Tacx iMagic which I love; the DVDs are great I enjoy are the Alpine Classics, Mount Ventoux and for Christmas I received the Ergo Video DVD of Roth, Germany triathlon cycle route following the Rabobank team around the course. The Roth DVD is pretty tough and I struggle to keep up with the wattage particularly on the hills, but a great work out.

In attempt to escape the UK wet and cold winter, we have decided to visit Dominique's mum in Calpe Spain; a great place for a winter's training camp and I've planned a number of runs, may attempt to swim in the sea however, this time unfortunately I'm not taking my bike. A pity as there are some great climbs around the area of Calpe. In fact Quickstep often use Calpe as a base for their winter training sessions. There is a great loop which includes a Cat 1 climb and tons of hairpins and mountain views which are breath taking (see map).



Looking forward to 20oC and running and may be a dip in Calpe and more importantly Dominique's mum looking after us.

No comments: